Cinnamon-kissed syrup cocoons chunks of apple in this Homemade Apple Topping. Perfect topper for pancakes, waffles, crepes or ice cream. It’s even good by the spoonful right out of the jar!
- 7 medium "pie" apples, peeled and chopped (use a mix of sweet and tart)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup strong-brewed apple-flavoured herbal tea, cold
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine apples and sugar in a large saucepan, cover and let stand 1 hour.
- Place over medium-high heat and stir frequently until mixture comes to a boil. Boil hard 1 minute, continuing to stir frequently.
- Whisk together tea, tapioca, cinnamon, ginger and lemon juice and stir into apples.
- Reduce heat to a brisk simmer and cook for 1 minute more, stirring.
- Pack mixture into sterilized jar(s), seal and process in a waterbath for 20 minutes (pints) or 35 minutes (quarts).