This Vegan Pumpkin Spice Muffin recipe has a wonderful warm, buttery flavor that tastes just like fall. So perfectly soft, moist, dense and delicate that you may just want them every time of year!
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon golden flax meal
- 2 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup barley malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 325F (163C). In a small bowl whisk together the water and golden flax meal. In another small bowl whisk together the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another large mixing bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, sugar, vegetable oil, barley malt syrup, salt, cinnamon, lemon juice, ginger and cloves. Whisk in the flax meal slurry and the non-dairy milk apple cider mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl containing the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Due to the varying moisture of the pumpkin puree, you may need to add a small amount of non-dairy milk or flour for optimum dough thickness. Keep in mind that this dough is supposed to be on the thick side. Stir in the chopped pecans or walnuts.
- To make muffins
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Pour the batter into the muffin pan making sure the dough is filled up to the top of the pan and domed. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- To make bread
- Pour the batter into a lightly oiled 8 x 4 inch loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
These vegan muffins are equally good with baked sweet potato purée substituted for the pumpkin as well.